Department of Physiology
The Department of Physiology came into existence in the year of December 2015 in the Govt. Medical College, Ambikapur, Chhattisgarh with a vision to become a center of excellence in Medical physiology training and research. It is situated in the premises of Dean office. Major activities are centered around teaching and research. The goal of teaching Physiology to students aims at imparting detailed and complete knowledge of normal functioning of the body and understanding the physiological basis of health, disease and the treatment.
Physiology has following subsections –
a. Human clinical physiology
c. Experimental physiology
FACULTIES – (Faculty Status as on date 30/12/2020)
Dr. Alakh Ram Verma
Professor and head
Dr. Pallavi Jawale
Dr. Manish Goyal
Dr. Bhupendra Shriwaas
Dr. Bikalp Paul
Dr. Akansha Raj
The department is actively engaged in the basic and applied research in the field of Cardiovascular, Respiratory, Neurophysiology, Sleep physiology and Medical Education. Experienced teachers guide the students through different aspects of physiology. Teaching facilities with well equipped Lecture Theatre along with Audio-Visual aids (OHP and LCD) are available
Other facilities provided are enlisted as under:
1. Staff Block Area : Separate blocks for Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professor, and Demonstrators as per requisite space according to the norms of the Medical Council of India are provided.
2. Demonstration Hall : There is one demonstration hall for various demonstration purposes as per requisite space according to the norms of the Medical Council of India.
3. Departmental Library and Seminar hall : Departmental library is well equipped with more than 100 books with adequate space for seminars.
4.Human Physiology Lab:Human Physiology Lab for students is equipped with ECG machine, NCV /EMG machine, sphygmomanometers, digital spirometers, perimeters, tuning forks, hammers etc for CNS, CVS, Respiratory, Abdominal and General examination.
5. Haematology Lab:Haematology Lab for Blood experiments for students is equipped with Microscopes (Binocular & Monocular), Haemocytometers , Haemoglobinometers, Wintrobe’s and Westegren’s tubes alongwith antisera for estimation of various. hematological parameters.
6. Research Lab: Departmental research laboratory is well equipped and offers facilities to carry out research work in field of Electrophysiology, Cardio-pulmonary Physiology, Biochemical studies and Exercise Physiology
Quiz competition & students’ seminars which demand active participation by the students are being organized by the department. Students were given assignment related to physiology in form of poster presentation to assess their skills at a glance. The students are encouraged to participate in regular quizzes and presentations to facilitate the improvement in their presenting skills. Role play / skit by a small group of students as a part of health education is carried out. Early clinical exposure is given by ward visit, blood bank visit. Teaching in the department is updated with latest development in the subject and correlated with clinical aspects.
Achievement and Research :
Department is meticulously involved in research work and published many research papers in the journals of national and international repute
Life Members of Asssociation of Pharmacology and physiology of India :
- Dr Alakh Ram Verma
- Dr. Pallavi jawale
Life Members of Asssociation of Physiologists of India :
- Dr. Manish Goyal – Assistant Professor